Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Finally Arrived in Cairo - Alhumdulilah!

Alhumdulilah (Thank God), I have finally arrived in Cairo! :D

I left D.C. Monday around 10:30 and have arrived in Cairo around Tuesday at 9 p.m. and needless to say that was the longest bit of travelling I have ever done. I took a bus to New York, then the shuttle to JFK, then a flight to Amman, Jordan, and then another flight to Cairo. Alhumdulilah nothing was delayed because of the massive snow storm on the U.S. east coast but it was still madness getting here. I am just grateful to have made it.

And many many many thanks to Hana and her sister Rana for opening their home and all of their hospitality. I have only been here a few hours and Rana is such a sweetheart. I am really lucky to have such caring people in my life.

I honestly still can't believe I am here. When we were driving to Rana's house it was just surreal seeing the Nile and the beautiful mosques just on a way here. I think the one thing that I automatically has made me fall in love with Cairo is the Muslim-ness of it all. When we got on EgyptAir we were greeted with "Salaam Alaikum" and before the plane took off they said the prayer for safe travelling and there was this beautiful sense of comfort in small things like that. Coming from the States where Islam is foreign and often feared, it is so nice, and such a relief, to not have to explain or defend anything and just enjoy the fact that you can say "salaam", or peace, to any and everyone on the street. Even seeing huge mosques in the middle of city is such a beautiful sight. I'm not going to lie, it makes me all really happy :)

I am excited to wake up early tomorrow and start exploring Cairo. I think I first might go to the Egyptian Museum with all the history (and mummies!). Rana said that to take it all in you might need all day so we'll see how that goes :-)

I'm also super excited, to practice the little Arabic I know while I'm here. Hopefully I won't make a big fool of myself, but if I do I think thats still part of the fun. Either way, I'll learn a lot, see beautiful things, eat loads, and of course, end the occupation.

Also to anyone reading this: please take a moment and call the Egyptian embassy and urge them to let the Gaza Freedom March into Gaza. Here is how you can help us :

Please call the Egyptian Embassy (in the US 202-895-5400) and tell them to let us into Gaza.

Contact your local consulate here:
http://www.mfa.gov.eg/MFA_Portal/en-GB/mfa_websits/

Contact the Palestine Division in Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Cairo
Ahmed Azzam, tel +202-25749682 Email: ahmed.azzam@mfa.gov.eg

In the U.S., contact the Egyptian Embassy, 202-895-5400 and ask for Omar Youssef or email omaryoussef@hotmail.com


Possible text for emails:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to express my full support for the December 31, 2009 Gaza Freedom March, and am in touch with my Member of the Congress on this issue.

I respectfully urge the Egyptian government to allow the 1,360 international delegates to enter the Gaza Strip through Egypt.

The aim of the march is to call on Israel to lift the siege. It is also humanitarian: the delegates will also take in badly needed medical aid, as well as school supplies and winter jackets for the children of Gaza.

Please let this historic March proceed. Doing so will do much to endear Egypt to both the marchers and their many friends and supporters.

Thank you

Okay so I'm exhausted and I don't want to sleep the day away!!

Ma'salaama and lots of love from Cairo,
Sana

No comments:

Post a Comment