Monday, December 28, 2009

Feteer Is Delicious.

So today I went to meet up with Matt and his mom Patty at the Extended Stay contingency meeting but it turns out that was cancelled, and my guess is its because of what was going down at the UN earlier in the morning. I guess I should have known it was going to turn out bad when my cab driver, Mohammed, got lost for like 45 minutes trying to find the Sun Hotel :/

So then the three of us went for a bit to Islamic Cairo and saw the Sultan Hassan Mosque which was just epic. I'll post pictures as soon as facebook starts cooperating w/ my computer here in Egypt but until then you'll have to believe me when I say I was at a loss for words.

I then went with Sherif and Rania to Khan el-Khalili and bought a few things. And they, being the super amazing people they are, bought me a birthday present which in fact turns out to be this ring that said "Allah" which we looked at in one of the stores/stands and the shopkeeper was being really difficult so I left it and it so happened that when Rania went to the "bathroom" she went and bought the ring for me. It was honestly the nicest thing ever, and I can understand now why the two of them are a couple because they are both such sweet people. I am so lucky to know people like that, alhumdulilah. They are really great :)

Afterwards we went to eat and I finally tried fateer/feteer (however you spell it) and it was sooo delicious. Oh my goodness. Its like this doughy pie but with different fillings like cheese or meat and we had one with cheese, one with meat, and another one with chocolate. Both the cheese and meat one were amazing but unfortunately the chocolate one had a fly in it so we didn't eat it haha
Maybe next time :)

I posted below the plan for tomorrow and I'm really excited for the day especially the Netanyahu protest. I've tried to keep a low profile in terms of political action so far but I think given that Netanyahu is coming and that Egypt needs to be held just as accountable as Israel for the suffering of Palestinians - whether by shutting out Viva Palestina in Aqaba or Gaza Freedom March in Cairo - I think its time to escalate.

I've been really confused as to what direction GFM is really going in because the wall (no pun intended) that we keep running into w/ Egypt has really fragmented the groups efforts. I'm sure you all have heard/read about the French delegates that are sitting in right now in front of the French Embassy, and the hunger strike led by the Ms. Epstein the 85 year old Holocaust survivor, but nothing as a solid group has been done yet. Well nothing until this Netanyahu protest so far. So I'm excited to show our numbers and stand our ground.

Bismillah.

This one's for Gaza,
Sana.

No comments:

Post a Comment